James F. Mulvaney
(1922 – 2010)
James F. Mulvaney was a firm founder in 1969. Mr. Mulvaney was born in Chicago, Illinois, on November 2, 1922 and attended Loyola University (Chicago) where he received his B.S.C., in 1942, and later his law degree in 1947. He served in the United States Navy from 1942-1946. During World War II, Mr. Mulvaney served as the Commanding Officer of the USS Kyne, and later as a Lieutenant Commander during the Korean War. Mr. Mulvaney was admitted to the Illinois bar in 1948 and the California bar in 1958. Mr. Mulvaney served as President of the San Diego Baseball Company of the Pacific Coast League from 1955 through 1968, and later served as Vice President and General Counsel of the San Diego Padres National League Team from 1968 through 1973.
Mr. Mulvaney acted as Vice Chairman of the Commission on California State Government Organization and Economy, (the Little Hoover Commission), from 1978 through 1982, and served as Chairman of the Mercy Hospital Foundation from 1989 through 1991. Among his many other accomplishments, Mr. Mulvaney was also a board member of United Way International since 1984, and acted as its Chairman from 1991 through 1994. He also acted as the Chairman of the Western Region of United Way of America from 1984 through 1993, and the Chairman of United Way of California from 1988 through 1991. He also served in excess of 20 years on the National Advisory Council of the Small Business Administration in Washington, D.C. He served as Chairman of the Mingei International Museum in San Diego, California from 2000 through 2004.
Among the many awards Mr. Mulvaney received for his dedicated service to the San Diego Community, he was honored as a recipient of the Mr. San Diego Award for 1991, a recipient of the San Diego County Bar Association Outstanding Service Award in 1988, Citizen of the Year by the Junior Chamber of Commerce and the City Club in 1983. He received the John V. Naish Award from United Way in 1980 as well as being chosen the Headliner of the Year by the San Diego Press Club for 1976.